The territory of the municipality of Ivanjica is situated in the south-west of Serbia, and it is about 40 kilometres far away from “Vajati”. The town was established long time ago, in 1833, at the order of duke Milos. As for its surface, it is one of the biggest municipalities in Serbia, spreading on the area of 1.090 square kilometres, and, according to the latest records, about 36.000 inhabitants live there, and in town itself there are about 15.000 inhabitants. Ivanjica is an admnistrative, cultural and economy center of the municipality, and, together with the minicipalities of Lucani, Cacak and Gornji Milanovac, it forms the Moravicka region.
Ivanjica is situated on the bank of the river Moravica, at the height of 469 metres above the sea level. It is situated in the lovely valley surrounded by monuments Golija, Javor, Mucanj and Cemernica. Due to its preserved nature and completely clean environment, Ivanjica was proclaimed an aerial spa.
In Ivanjica there are the following cultural and historical monuments:
- Church of the Saint czar Constantine and Czarina Helen, which was erected in 1836;
- stone bridge on the river Moravica built in 1904, which is the biggest single-arched bridge in the Balkan area;
- generating station on the river Moravica, built in 1911. It was the fifth hydroelectric power station in Serbia, with a beautiful waterfall which is a visual symbol of Ivanjica;
- a monument dedicated to general Draza Mihailovic, which is situated it the centre of the town;
- The monument of the Revolution;
- nearby the town, there is a Palibrcki grave on which a church was erected on the grave of Bosko Jugovic (a warrior from Kosovo battle) dedicated to Saint duke Lazar, as well as the Kovilje monastery, dating from the 13th century, which is 25 km far away from Ivanjica;
- Hadzi Prodan’s cave, which is a combination of an important turistic, speleological and archeological monument.
CHURCH OF THE SAINT CZAR CONSTANTINE AND CZARINA HELEN
It is situated it the centre of Ivanjica. It was erected in 1836, three years after the establishing of the town. It is the only building dating from that historical period. It survived two fires during which the whole town was burnt. It was painted in 1862, and the painting has been completely preserved.
STONE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER MORAVICA
For the visitors of Ivanjica, the stone bridge nearby the Javor-Dragacevo road is of a special interest. It is the biggest single-arched bridge in the Balkan area, built on the principle of wedges, without connective material. It was built by the Italian workers in 1906. It is used for traffic and as well as a pedestrian crossing. Trucks have been forbidden to cross this bridge recently.
GENERATING STATION ON THE RIVER MORAVICA
It was built in 1911 as the fifth hydroelectric power station in the country. It has been functioning still (it illuminated the town park), but it was turned into a museum. Together with its old “Siemens” machines which have a historical value, it today represents an interesting object which attracts both electrical engineers and tourists. A concrete dam of 9 meters height forms a beautiful waterfall, a visual symbol of the town, situated in front of the hydroelectric power station. Brave swimmers come to the dam in summer and jump from it into the deep water.
MONUMENT DEVOTED TO GENERAL DRAZA MIHAILOVIC (1893-1946)
It is situated at the centre of the town, and it was erected in April 2003 as a sign of attention towards the legendary leader of the Ravnogorski movement in the Second World War (to the general and commander of the Yugoslav Royal Army in the country – to Draza Mihailovic). Nearby the monument there is a house (Cica’s House) which became the Ravnogorska library and the museum of the Ravnogorski movement.
THE MONUMENT OF THE REVOLUTION
Located at the very centre of Ivanjica, it was made by a famous artist and revolutionary – Djordje Andrejevic – Kun. The monument is, in fact, a mosaic of dimensions 5 x 2.4 m, and it represents the uprising, fight and victory against the Germans. Hadzi Prodan’s cave and Church of St. Archangel Michael
Hadzi Prodan’s cave was named after a duke of Karadjordje’s, who was hiding the refugees into the cave. It is located in the valley of the Rascanska river (thus it was called “Rascanska cave”), which is 7 kilometres far away from Ivanjica, on the road leading to Guca, at about 600 metres height above sea level. The investigated length of the cave is about 400 metres, and it consists of two floors. In the central part of the hall, there are thick stalactites and stalagmites, surrounded by powerful waterfalls resembling stone-like waterfalls.
In Hadzi Prodan’s cave there were 25 new species of cave animals (insects) found, which are either rare or completely unknown in the world. The destroyed church in fornt of the cave was rebuilt, and it was called “Adzija’s”. It was built for the first time in 1909 and it was devoted to Archangel Michael.